The Toronto Open Swing and Hustle Championships (TOSHC) are BACK! Bigger and better than ever: July 14-17, 2016.
Mark your calendar and INVITE your dance pals to come play in our sandbox for a change 🙂
Facebook Event or www.TOSHC.com
– Thursday Robert and Nicola Royston’s 3-hour mini Intensive $85 (USD)
– Thursday night Kick-off party w/ DJ Arjay Centeno
– Thursday night free newcomer/beginner track with Mary Adams
– Leveled workshops
– Friday night pizza party, Saturday night breakfast buffet
– Jack & Jills (WSDC/points) Strictly Swings, Pro-Am JnJs, “All Canadian” JnJ
– MASTERS, RISING STAR and HUSTLE dance TOUR (points)
– Social Dancing all 4 nights!
– Sunday night closing party hosted by Shelley Saxena (Free to any wrist band holder or 10$ without)
TUESDAYS AT DOVERCOURT HOUSE
It’s not too late to join in any of the class series that started last week an continue until February 9th:
6:30-7:15 p.m. – WCS*HD with Shelley Saxena – $95 including 3 hours of social dancing
7:15-8:00 p.m. – WCS*Repertoire – $75 including 3 hours of social dancing
8:00-9:00 p.m. – WCS*Fundamentals – $75 including 3 hours of social dancing
Cash or cheque at the door or book online
~8:45 p.m. – midnight – 3 hours of social dancing $5 (or free with any class)
The Dovercourt House is located just west of Ossington and a couple of blocks north of Bloor: 805 Dovercourt Rd., 2nd Floor
SUNDAYS WITH SHELLEY
5:00-6:00 p.m. 6 WEEK SERIES Basics Plus+ series continues to February 14th $95
6:00-7:00 p.m. Intermediate WCS drop in lesson – $18 including 2 hours of social dancing
7:00-8:00 p.m. Social dancing all levels – $5
3352 Dundas St. West (in the Junction)
Check out the WCS calendar
FRIDAYS AT MAIN FITNESS (IN THE BEACH) – JANUARY 29th-MARCH 4TH
Shelley and I will be job-sharing for six weeks, offering Beginner WCS classes followed by an all-levels practice
7:30-8:30 p.m. Basic West Coast Swing techniques and patterns – six classes/six weeks – $80 including practice
8:30-10:30 p.m. Two hours of social WCS dancing/practice – $5
138 Main Street, just south of Gerard
Facebook Event or please see the calendar
OTHER LOCAL (AND QUASI-LOCAL) DANCE PARTIES AND EVENTS:
- JOY OF DANCE HUSTLE/WCS PARTY – SATURDAY, JANUARY 30th
Hustle class with Steven James, Shelley Saxena teaches WCS, followed by three hours of social dancing at Joy of Dance, 95 Danforth Avenue at Broadview
Facebook Event or please check the calendar
- MONTHLY DANCES IN ANCASTER – David & Gwen Ford coming Saturday, February 20th Facebook
- MONTHLY DANCES IN WATERLOO – waterloowesties.ca
SWING OUTTA TOWN:
- SWINGCOUVER – JANUARY 21-24 – There’s going to be record-breaking attendance this year, a Star Wars based Strictly Swing competition and Pyjama Party. Oh, and levelled workshops, Jack & Jills and did I mention January in Vancouver? Facebook Event or swingcouver.com
- CANADA ROCKS! THE CHICAGO CLASSIC – MARCH 11-13 – WSDC (points) event with a souped-up Pro Staff, Canadian tables, and our annual Deep Dish Pizza Party & Shower Cram on Saturday night:
Facebook Event or thechicagoclassic.com
- SWINGIN’ MONTREAL – APRIL 15-17 – Workshop weekend downtown Montreal with headliners Tashina Beckman and PJ Turner (see them on YouTube) levelled workshops, Pro-Ams and JnJs, social dance parties… Facebook Event or westiepassion.com
- HUGO AND STACY IN OTTAWA – JUNE 17-18 – Fun weekend of workshops with this ridiculously-talented couple, comps, parties and private lessons.
Facebook Event or ottawaprowcsweekend.com
- SWEET SIDE OF SWING NORTHWEST (VANCOUVER) – JUNE 24-26
Buy Canadian! This “beyond patterns” franchise moves north of the border for the first time this summer with levelled workshops and specialty classes.
Facebook Event or – sweetsideofswing.com/nw.html
FOOTNOTE – THE CASE FOR PRACTICING YOUR BASICS
I saw this posted on Renee Lipman’s page on Facebook, reposted it to the TOWestCoast group page, and feel it’s worth sharing here, too 🙂
“Dear Tommy and Renee,
I already know the basics, why should I come to your free beginner class?
Dear Got it,
What does a professional pianist do every day? Practice scales and drills. Why? Because the foundation of your craft is the most important thing.
Every single thing we do in west coast swing is built on one of our basics:
If you know your basics perfectly, it is much easier to learn the more complicated patterns and styling.
If you know your basics perfectly, you can dance with anyone.
If you know your basics perfectly, you can dance to any type music, at any speed.
If you know your basics perfectly, you can relax and have fun.
There is no such thing as doing your basics too much.”