Hope everyone is enjoying the Victoria Day Long weekend, a.k.a. the May-Two-Four Weekend, a.k.a. the kick off to my birthday week 😉
Tuesday night classes continue tomorrow night – week #2, so not too late to join in any of the series that started last week:
- 6:30-7:15 p.m. WCS*HD (High Definition) with Shelley Saxena: More mining of Shelley’s oh-so-awesome *Motion Study* with “in the wild” technique and styling applications – $95 for the remaining five classes or $18 to drop-in, including social dancing
- 7:15-8:00 p.m. WCS*Repertoire – Leadable social patterns. Shelley is filling for me this week and will be teaching anything she likes 😊 – $75 for the remaining five classes or $15 to drop in
- (WCS*HD and WCS* Repertoire “bundled” : $140)
- 8:00-9:00 p.m. WCS*Fundamentals – Last chance to join this beginner series. Get dancing West Coast Swing just in time for summer! $75 for the remaining five classes or $15 to drop in (Graduates can repeat for FREE at any time)
- ~8:45 p.m. until midnight – Social WCS dancing for all levels, no partner required – just $5 or FREE with any class. DJ Ren will be “spinning” the tunes for us this week. Ask me to dance!
Online registration available here, or in person with our own Amazing Grace; cash or cheque only at the door.
Classes and dance take place at the Dovercourt House, 805 Dovercourt Rd. (west of Ossington, north of Bloor)
Please remember to BYOWB (Bring Your Own Water Bottle) to stay hydrated, especially in the summer months ahead – and please note that these will be the last HD and Repertoire series until September because….
Because of the:
***INTERNATIONAL WEST COAST SWING FLASH MOB 2017***
YAY! The song has been selected (Jason Derulo’s catchy “Kiss the Sky”) and the choreography has been set for the West Coast Swing Flash Mob routine that will be danced all around the world on Saturday, September 2nd (Labour Day weekend)!! We’ve been so lucky with weather the last couple of years I thought it would be fun to take a trip to the Toronto Islands, bring a picnic, and make a day it. Hopefully we can get some great video of us dancing against the backdrop of the city skyline.
Shelley and I will again be offering group classes on Tuesday nights June 27- August 29, 6:30-8:00 p.m. (replacing both Repertoire and HD for the summer; WCS*Fundamentals will continue as usual) – NO PARTNER REQUIRED! : $99 for 10 weeks, including Social
- “Kiss the Sky” video on YouTube here – note the cool Hawaiian shirts 😉
- June 27th Local Launch Party Facebook Event or see the calendar (“Island-wear” encouraged)
- Join the Toronto Facebook Group for updates (will likely flip this to an “event page” soon)
- International Flashmob West Coast Swing 2017 (Official) for choreography videos here
- Toronto’s 2015 Flash Mob “City Within a Park” video here
- Toronto’s 2016 Flash “Classic” Nathan Phillips Square video here
Please let me know if you have any questions!!
GRATITUDE DANCE & GETAWAY – SEPTEMBER 9-10Also in September, we’re heading “up north” for a little R&R – and dancing – in and around Thornbury/Blue Mountain.
Facebook Event. There’s also and Activity Planning Group on Facebook or see the calendar
TOSHC CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
In just a few weeks we will be welcoming West Coast Dancers from all over to “our house” for the Toronto Open Swing and Hustle Championships, taking place at the Sheraton Toronto Airport and Conference Centre, July 13-16, 2017 www.toshc.com
An event like this relies on a village of volunteers, all of whom put in a few hours here and there and are still able to fully participate in the weekend: dancing, taking workshops, competing…. It’s great way to subsidize your event pass purchase or competition fees, and provide much-appreciated support of *our* event 😊
This message from TOSHC Staff Manager, Melanie Garbaz:
Are you interested in helping out at TOSHC while earning some “dance dollars”? We are looking for people to help make the event a success by covering door shifts, registration and selling TOSHC t-shirts and apparel.
How does it work? For every hour you work, you will get $15 dance dollars that will be applied to your event pass and/or competitions. Dance dollars are in Canadian currency and will be applied at At-Event pricing for passes and competitions.
FOOTNOTE: THIS LAND IS OUR LAND?
Doing anything to celebrate Canada150? Perhaps you’re one of the thousands of Canadians taking advantage of the Free 2017 Discovery Passes to visit one or more of our magnificent national parks. Or perhaps, like me, you’re feeling a little uncomfortable about celebrating Canada as a nation when the history of this land and its people stretches back thousands of years.
It was this uncomfortable feeling that led me to ask my contact at CAMH (the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health) if we could direct our fundraising efforts this year to support First Nations people struggling with mental health and addiction issues.
More details to follow. In the meantime please mark your calendar for Tuesday, November 14th for our 10th Annual CAMH Benefit Dance – and see here for an introduction to the services provided by CAMH to aboriginal communities.