Thanks again to Shelley for covering for me last week, and to Renia for the great tunes – and to Grace for your usual support. I “skipped class” last Tuesday evening to attend very a special event at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) and learn more about the aboriginal services provided onsite at their Queen Street facilities, and remotely to northern communities. Treatment strategies incorporate physical, mental, psychological and spiritual approaches – combining modern western medicine and practices with traditional and sacred ceremonies, as well as guidance from aboriginal elders on staff at the hospital.
I hope you’ll join us on Tuesday, November 14th for our 10th Annual Benefit Dance in Support of CAMH. We will be directing all our donations this year to their aboriginal services. Thanking you in advance for your support.
BLUESY TUESDAY THIS WEEK!
Classes continue (week #3) followed by dancing to a blues-heavy playlist.
6:30-7:15 p.m. WCS*HD : More Motion-Study-Awesomeness with Shelley Saxena! If you took part in either of Shelley’s recent Motion Study workshops and want more practice (and more practical applications) with the technique and styling – and even if you didn’t – this is great opportunity to make small but impactful changes to your West Coast Swing – $18 to drop in, including dance that starts ~8:45 p.m.
7:15-8:00 p.m. WCS*Repertoire : Leadable social patterns and variations incorporating basic West Coast Swing patterns and technique and taking it up a notch (or two!) $15 to drop in, including dance that starts ~8:45 p.m.
8:00-9:00 p.m. WCS*Fundamentals : Week #3 of this progressive series for Beginner West Coast Swing dancers. Sorry – no drop-ins at this point. We start a *new* six-week series classes Tuesday, June 27th – and….
FREE INTRODUCTORY WEST COAST SWING LESSON – TUESDAY, JUNE 6th
Our usual first-Tuesday-of-the-month FREE lesson – other classes will run as per usual – followed by social dancing, also FREE for anyone taking the FREE lesson.
8:00-9:00 p.m. FREE intro lesson with Shelley Saxena (I will be teaching the Fundamentals class at the *same time*)
9:00 p.m. – possibly a short demo – following by social dancing, all levels!!
Facebook Event or please see the calendar.
Our Tuesday night dance party takes place *every* week until midnight – only $5 or FREE with any lesson.
At the Dovercourt House, 805 Dovercourt Rd. (west of Ossington, north of Bloor)
ABSENCE ALERT! – JUNE 1-4
Where have all the Toronto Westies gone? To the Michigan Classic (MiC)!!! It’s not too late to get in the car….
www.michiganclassicswing.com Canada ROCKS the Michigan Classic Facebook Event
JUNE TO-DANCE LIST
- Sunday, June 4th – NO classes at Rhythm and Motion this week (because MiC) – Shelley will be back the following week and every Sunday with classes and Sunday Fun-day social dancing www.shelleydance.com
- Monday night classes continue at the West-Way with Lucky Sipin
- Tuesday, June 6th – First-Tuesday-of-the-Month FREE lesson Facebook Event or see the calendar
- Thursday, June 8th – New Dynamic Duo class series begin
- Friday, June 16th – TSDS dance with Todd and Maria guest-teaching Facebook Event or see the calendar
- Saturday, June 17th – Todd and Maria in Ancaster Facebook Event or see the calendar
- Saturday, June 24th – Hustle & WCS Party at Joy of Dance Facebook Event or see the calendar
- June 22-26 – Sweet Side of Swing (Vancouver) – levelled workshops focusing on the “conversation” of the dance http://sweetsideofswing.com/nw.html
- Tuesday, June 27 – International WCS Flash Mob (Island-themed!) Kick-off Party Facebook Event or see the calendar
- June 29-July 3 – Liberty Swing Dance Championships Canada ROCKS Facebook Event or www.libertyswing.com for full details
COMING SOON!! The Toronto Open Swing and Hustle Championships – July 13-16
West Coast Swing has an intrinsic “event culture”: we Westies will immerse ourselves in the dance by attending weekend events – where we stay at a hotel (sharing four to a room to save money), take workshops and private lessons with our heroes, compete and/or cheer on our friends, are inspired by amazing performances, laugh at the inevitable shenanigans, and dance all night.
Yes, you can literally dance until dawn and go for breakfast with the other survivors…and no, the people who dance all night are the same ones getting up for the morning workshops 😊
In just a few weeks we’ll be welcoming West Coast Swing dancers to Toronto for “our” event, the Toronto Open Swing & Hustle Championships. There are workshops with local visiting instructors in both West Coast Swing and Hustle (http://toshc.com/workshop-schedule/) and a three-hour “Centensive” (Centano+intensive) workshop with Arjay Centano on Thursday night before the kick-off dance.
(You can check up Arjay’s YouTube channel here)
Please don’t miss this opportunity to expand your West Coast Swing knowledge and experience – in our own back yard: www.toshc.com
And if you plan to dance all night – book a room! (Seriously, the hotel is filling up, and if you need to cancel for any reason please let Scott know before releasing it for re-sale)
Interested in volunteering – and earning “dance bucks” towards your TOSHC event pass or competition fees? Contact Melanie at email@example.com